Saturday 17 September 2022

New Calligraphy

 Greetings

When I am re-enacting I play the part of a medieval bishop.

I have been playing this part for many years.

Whilst it was not that unusual for a bishop to armour up and take part in war, they were usual resticted to defending themselves with ( technically ) blunt weapons, such as maces and hammers.

The Benedictine Rule particularly forbad the use of swords.

However, by the Fourteenth Century, it was possible to obtain a dispensation for almost anything.

My character has been made an ecclesiastical knight and has been granted a dispensation to use a sword.

The Great Schism was in full flower during the Hundred Years war, with French Popes in Avignon in opposition to Italian Popes in Rome ( with occasional additional popes in Pisa and even Spain)

I had previously re-enacted Wars of the Roses, so my copy of the dispensation was from Pius II in 1458

I decided that it was time I had one from an earlier pope.

This is from Pope Clement VI( pope from 1342-1352)in Avignon.

It is countersigned by further Avignon popes.


This is written with oak gall ink on vellum and illuminated with watercolour and gold leaf.

I am currently working on a  larger document of the dispensation from Pope Urban VI (pope from 1378-89) in Rome.

Until next time

Adieu


No comments:

Post a Comment