Tuesday 23 July 2019

Hurstbourne Tarrant

Greetings

I seem to have posted early this week!

Last Weekend the Paladins did a show at a Village Fayre in the small Hampshire village of Hurstbourne Tarrant (near Andover).

I arrived first and had quite a wait before the others arrived. I took these pictures of the rather fine tythe barn.




When everyone had arrived we had ten people including six fighters.

We set up the camp right next to the childrens' play area.

We had three tents and my shelter , as well as a separate archery display.

We did a dance show , displaying two medieval dances and spent a lot of time talking to the public.

In the afternoon we did a tourney.  We had six fighters, so no one need to fight twice. The weather was hot, but overcast and windy, so it was good fighting weather for an armoured man.

I fought Alex with hand-and-a-half and then chose shield and mace for the mele. I ended up against Jim (visiting from the Knights of Honour) and we proceeded to beat each other to death, gently subsiding to our knees as we hit each other over the head.

I also used this occasion to field test the use of my better quality long spaulders with my new harness.
They worked just fine, including when using hand-and-a-half.

After the tourney we heard that there would be a tug of war, so Jim, Adam and I decided to take part.
Jim was still in full harness, Adam was in mail and I was still wearing my mail skirt and legs.

Jim was sent off to be on the other side and I formed the endstop on our side with Adam just ahead of me. I had had the foresight to put on leather gloves and made sure to wrap the rope one turn round me. I then took a wide stance, dug my hobnails into the ground and leaned back.

It was a hard fought contest, with the line swaying one way then the other. Unfortunately, we ended up being slightly handicapped by two waste bins which we ended up nearly banging into and lost by a narrow margin.

Until next time

Adieu

No comments:

Post a Comment