Wednesday 18 September 2024

Hever 2024

 Greetings

I attended the 'Hever in History' event over the August Bank Holiday.

As I knew we could not get access to the site until 2.30,I packed up all the kit into the car on the Friday morning and drove down after lunch. The traffic was reasonable, but there were seveal unexplained delays and one long roadworks and I got there around 4.00.

The only hic-up was that all  the numbers had worn off the key-pad at the gate and my guesses at the code did not seem to open the gate. Fortunately, someone tried to drive out and, in the space afforded by the very slow gate opening, I was able to drive in.

There were enough other Paladins already on site for me to get the inital help I needed to put up the tent and, being told that rain was expected, I got everything inside and battened down the hatches.

I also opted to ignore the site instructions telling me to park in the plastic camping (meaning a longish walk back and then again to collect the car at the end) and secreted it amongst those of the Vikings who parked just up hill from their camp.

That night was very wet and it then proceeded to rain heavily all day Saturday. We had all noted that the ground was very hard when putting up the tents and, unfortunately this led to the upper foot or so becoming saturated and the wet spreading out horizonally under the tent.

My plastic ground sheet never quite aligns with the tent and I usually use lighter sheets and a rubberbacked mat to fill in the holes. These became soaked and spread the wet to the other mats and sheepskins.

I was left with an island of dry , which (luckily) include the bit with my bed on it.

Fortunately, I had opted to hang most of the weapons from the cartwheel and the armour was safe in its oak chest.

Needless to say, we did not fight on Saturday, but we still had a few members of the public to talk to, which shows they are even madder than we are.

Sunday dawned clear , if slightly cloudy, and was a good day with a quite reasonable battle, though I decided to sit out the final clash.

Here is a picture of my tent and awning taken on the Sunday. You can see my great helm being displayed with the new crest I carved for the first time.


Here is a picture of me as the Bishop ( this was taken by my fellow-Paladin, Ann-Marie, at the event in Samwich earlier this year and is use with permission)


 

The Monday was also dry and overcaste and the battle went well- right up until the idiot hit me in the face ( I have covered this in my previous blog ' Hever- by the sword')

We started the pack-down about 5.30 , but it was getting on for 8.00 before I was finished ( and that was with Sandy and Frederika generously helping me) .  I

I rang Teddy telling him I was about to leave and gave an estimate of an hour and half, based on the delays I'd had coming in. 

I had no delays at all and was home  in about an hour.

I'd say it was mixed event. Rubbish on Saturday; good on Sunday; spoiled by the near-blinding on Monday.

Ho Hum

Untill next time

Adieu


No comments:

Post a Comment