Saturday 10 August 2024

Calligraphy 1

 Greetings

I re-enact as a  Fourteenth Century fighting bishop. 

As part of this, I re-enact a short version of the Sarum Rite Mass.

I do not have a good memory- certainly not good enough to remember fifteen-to twenty  minutes worth of Latin- so I bought a nice hand bound ( in leather) book with blank pages to write up the service in.

The pages are about 13.5 cm by 8cm.

However- me being me- once I written up the Mass in a reasonable medieval hand, I felt compelled to illuminate it.

 Then I had to write down a grace( for when the Paladins were doing a display of noble table manners)

 and then I thought I'd better do the wedding service as ( to date) I've officiated at three medieval weddings... 

You see how it goes.

By the time I got to the wedding service, I was using oak-gall ink, illuminating with gold leaf and was often writing with a quill ( I use a porcupine quill).

It recently struck me that I've never blogged about this.

So , I decided I would start. I've now written and illuminated nearly sixty pages.

Don't panic- I'm only going to post some of my favourites...

Here is a Pater Noster ( Lord's Prayer) that I have recently completed.

I opted to use a larger font and spread it over four pages





Until next time

Adieu


No comments:

Post a Comment