Saturday 14 October 2023

Belt pouch 1

 Greetings

Many years ago I bought a replica metal belt pouch hanger and buckle at a trader's stall at Herstmonceux Medieval Festival.

My leatherworking skills were in their infancy and I made a belt pouch from quite thin black leather. 

At first this worked alright and I added an enamelled Yorkist rose  to the flap. I later found a  Papal badge and added this above the rose.

As the years went by the thin leather began to stretch and sag. I added internal stiffening pieces, but (as you can see this still didn't work very well.




I decided to remake the whole thing and bought some thicker black leather at a re-enactor's market.

I took lots of measurements from the existing pouch and made a rough pattern from newspaper.

First I cut out the rear panel ,which included the bar attachment and front flap. 

After getting some ideas from the leatherworker on the BBC programme ,The Repair Shop, Teddy had bought me some more leather working tools. 

I used the shaver tool to thin down the leather where it had to go round the bar for the hanger.

\


Next I cut out the front flap and a strip of the same leather to join the two together and make the body of the pouch



Then I cut a strap with a slot for the buckle. I shaved the back of the slotted area and part of the rest of the strap to make the closure and sewing it to the front flap easier.


The cats are calling for their supper, so I will post more on this later.

Until next time

Adieu




No comments:

Post a Comment