Wednesday 3 May 2023

Alternate History Hussar

 Greetings

I posted earlier about Eastercon and mentioned that I had worn a uniform, but, unfortunately, had not got any photos at the time.

I have now had occasion to don this uniform again and have persuaded Teddy to take some pictures.

This uniform counts as alternate history because it is what I think the uniform of the 18th Hussars would have looked like in the Crimean War (Mid 1850s) if they had not been disbanded in 1821 (after of the Napoleonic Wars.

I achieved this by wearing the overalls from my 1960's Service Corps mess dress over short boots.

The shade of military blue of the dolman and pelisse and overalls match exactly, as does the facing colour of the dolman and stripes on the overalls.

I wore the uniform in two styles.

First, with the pelisse





The without the pelisse






You will also note that I have now added a pricker plate to my cartridge box belt ( I could not get one in time for my wedding in 2016). I am also wearing an 1850'-style bow-fronted cravat, rather than a stock.




For contrast, here is the full 1815 uniform.


In reality, the 18th Hussars( Queen Mary's Own) was reformed from scratch in 1858 with a completely different uniform that had no connection to the unique features of their Napoleonic one.
 
until next time

Adieu

No comments:

Post a Comment