Wednesday 10 August 2022

Cryptid Fossil 1

 Greetings

Here is another cryptid fossil. This is sculpted out of clay.


This one is a cat sprite.

I chose to make this a Blue Lias fossil.

I used to go on holidays to my grandmother's house at Charmouth in Dorset. The cliffs there are very unstable as they are made of Blue Lias, which is prehistoric mud and has a tendency to turn partially back to mud if it gets too wet.

This leads to cliff falls and lots of fossils in the shingle.

I have a collection of fossil belamites and ammonites, as well as a few other fossils, which I found on the beach in my childhood ( This was in the 1970's-decades before it became forbidden to collect these).

The nature of Blue Lias also means that soft parts of creatures are sometimes  fossilized, or leave  impressions ( I have a fossil with fish scales and a couple of plant impressions). 

I have reflected this with the wings and ears of this sprite.

Until next time

Adieu

No comments:

Post a Comment