Saturday 5 February 2022

Storm Lord

 Greetings

I usually paint on quite a small scale. Most of my Science Fiction and Fantasy works are about A4, or just over.

However, it is nice occasionally to work on a larger scale, as( for example) it give s more scope for the expression of distance.

One consequence of producing large paintings  is the difficulty in getting good photographs of them.

if left on the easel, one cannot stand far enough away to take a full image; if you take them outside, there are gusts of wind, variable qualities of light, problems with keeping them upright and reflections off the surface; if hung on the wall, they are upright and stable but any artificial light is directional and can create points of brilliance, which obscure detail around them.

If the painting has been varnished, the problem with reflected light increases.

Here is a painting I finished in 2007. It is called "Stormlord". The painting is 100 cm by 75 cm.

This is hung over the door of  loft space room, at the corner of the stairs.

I took a photograph once it had been hung and had considerable problems with reflections from the landing light. I spent a lot of time adjusting the image, but it never really came out correctly.

Recently, I had an idea.

I took a photograph with the landing light off and used the  'Auto Correct" function for the light level.

This method had resulted in a far more accurate image of the piece.

I will be using this method for any future works of this size and may well take new images of two of my other existing paintings.

Until next time

Adieu

No comments:

Post a Comment