Wednesday 31 July 2024

Guards Steampunk 8

 Greetings

I had completed the bow section for the officer's sash.

I now had to make two tail pieces.

The single piece I had cut for this was already covered in black wool.

I decided to add the decoration first and then cut it in half.

The additional four metres of gold lace I had ordered had now arrived, so I added the three lines.



You will note that I opted not to close the outer lines at the ends (as on the antique original section of the sash). I decided  it was easier to finish the ends with pieces of the same wider lace (piped with red wool cut to shorten the tunic sleeves)I had used in the centre of the bow section. This would also make it easier to add bullion fringing.

Next, I added the Russia braid.




Then I cut and piped the two end pieces of wider gold lace and  sewed a doubled section of bullion fringing.

I then cut the single tail length in two and added the bullion fringing and piped lace to the ends.



I had only then to attach the tails to the back of the bow.

None of the examples I had found showed how the bow was attached to the adjustable leather strap of the sash.

My first idea was for the strap to pass through the centre loop closer of the bow, but this would mean setting the tails too far apart.

I therefore opted to cut out the centre back of the bow closer loop and  sew its two cut ends to the back of the bow. This required using strong thread.

I then used the same thread to sew the tops of the two tails into loops  and then double sewed the top curve of the loop to the back of the bow, I needed both a good thimble and a pair of pliers to do this.

The finished piece looks like this.


and the back looks like this.



I got fully dressed in the full rig and had Teddy take some photos, which I will post later.

Until next time

Adieu



No comments:

Post a Comment