Tuesday, 14 May 2019

New painting

Greetings

Every now and again I put a new canvass on the easel and just start painting.

I always paint in acrylic in these instances, as the fast drying time is essential.

Sometimes I will turn the painting different ways as I work. Sometimes I paint things out.

I refer to these pictures as "Letting my subconscious out for a jog" and do not actively engage in what they may, or may not, mean.

This is the most recent painting I have completed.


I have called it "The Golden Tree".

Until next time

Adieu

Wednesday, 8 May 2019

Composer composition

Greetings

Here is a new cartoon.

I love puns and homophones.





Until next time

Adieu

Wednesday, 1 May 2019

More work to current oil painting

Greetings

I have done a bit more work to my current oil painting. It is currently in the 'living with it and occasionally working on it when I spot something' stage.

It  last looked like this:


It now looks like this:


I'm aware that the changes are small, but that's the way it goes at this stage...

As usual, I will post about it again when I've done some more work to it.

Until next time

Adieu


Wednesday, 24 April 2019

Paradox

Greetings

Here is a new cartoon based on Dr Who.



Until next time

Adieu

Wednesday, 17 April 2019

small oil painting project.

Greetings

Some time ago,my friend Lisa was fortunate enough to win a competition at an art shop in London. Her prize was an extremely expensive box of artist quality oil paints.

She had never painted with oils before and asked me for my help.

With my aid she painted this:


She told me that she wanted the little purple dude to be looking at a lightning strike on the horizon.

She left the painting with me to dry and said she would arrange to do more work to it at a later date.

After a while, I arranged for the box of paints and the painting to make their way back to her.

Then, some time later, she contacted me to say that it was now cleat that she wasn't going to do any more to the picture  and that she had decided that she would pass the box of paints on to someone who was more likely to use them. 

She offered me the paints and I happily accepted.

In return I said that I would finish the painting for her, though I stressed that it would be my take on the idea.

She arranged for the painting to get to me.

I have now done some work to it.

It currently looks like this:


It will have to spend some time drying again and I will post about it later( when I've done more to it)

Until next time

Adieu




Wednesday, 10 April 2019

scabbard project

Greetings

When I was at the last Re-enactors' Fayre (TORM) I saw an officer's dress sword for sale and , on closer inspection, realised it was from the reign of William IV (1830-37) and in very good condition.

The hilt was gilded brass with a silver monogram on the shell guard and silver wire on the grip and the blade had good quality floral etched engraving.

It had no scabbard, but when I expressed my interest, the stallholder produced the brass throat and  chape. He said that the scabbard and sword knot had both disintegrated despite his best efforts to save them.

The price was already reduced to a very reasonable one , added to which there was a further 20% off everything on the stall.

I was owed a birthday present from Teddy, so he bought me the sword, as I was sure I could make a new scabbard.



When we went to the other (alternative ) market (TARM) , I found a nice Napoleonic bullion sword knot and bought it.

Now we come to the scabbard making and much experimentation.

First I wanted a rigid scabbard, so I gouged out the sword shape from wood , leaving small raised walls for the edges of the scabbard. This meant that the wood had to be thinner at the two ends to allow for the chape and throat.







Unfortunately the edges of the wooden scabbard proved too tight for the blade, so I remade it with a thin side wall.





This seemed to work, though the middle of the scabbard was much thicker than the chape
 and throat.


And, again unfortunately, when I sewed very thin leather over the top, not only would the leather not fit under the chape or  the throat, but the modest addition pressure of the leather being stitched over the wood was enough to stop the blade passing down the scabbard.



I considered using only one wooden side, but , in the end, opted for a soft scabbard.

Luckily, I had some slightly thicker black leather which enabled me to butt-stitch (if I was very careful), as if I was using the belt-thickness leather I'd use for an arming sword scabbard.

 I had to make a guide hole for each stitch using a sharp glover needle. I then carefully widened the hole with an awl before sewing with a blunt saddler needle

The leather was carefully measured and cut and sewn, edge to edge , along the blade







I then pressed the scabbard for a day to ease it round the blade. After this, it had eased for over half its length, but was still quite tight at the tip end. I pressed it again for several hours at the tip end.



I glued the chape and throat in place and added the sword knot.



The scabbard is still quite tight at the point end and requires adjustment to draw and sheath, but this will get easier over time and I will not need to draw it , or sheath it quickly anyway

Whilst the wooden scabbard did not work in this instance, I had never tried making one before and still feel I have learnt a lot through this attempt.

Until next time

Adieu

Wednesday, 3 April 2019

New Superhero painting

Greetings

Here is a new superhero painting.

This is painted in acrylic.I have used masking and airbrush to create some of the effects.

I have called this painting 'Redstrike'.




Until next time

Adieu