Wednesday 17 July 2024

Guards Steampunk 6

 Greetings

Having finished the cuffs and the epaulettes, I turned my attention to the officer's waist sash.

I had previously acquired an antique waist sash, which was, sadly, missing the cover piece  which normally hides the adjustable leather strap.

I , therefore decided to make my own cover piece and (after some research) determined that this should be shaped like a bow.

I adjusted the sash to fit and measured the gap.

Luckily I had some belt strapping that I previously bought that was the same width as the sash.

I cut this into a piece for the bow and a piece to make two tails.


I then flat covered both pieces in black wool closing with herring bone stitch.



I had several different widths of the same gold lace pattern as the original , but not the right one.

I managed to find it on line and ordered two metres- which I was sure would be enough for the project.

I added three line of gold lace to the bow section...


and found this alone was only just shy of two metres. I hastily order four more metres.

The original sash showed a thin piping of red wool on the edges of the gold lace, but I opted to edge it with red Russia braid, which I initially tried to machine sew.

Unfortunately, this proved very difficult to do accurately and the Russia braid did not take well to unpicking. Thus I ended up hand sewing it on, which required patience- and a thimble.


I will post more anon.

Until next time


Adieu

No comments:

Post a Comment