Wednesday 3 February 2016

The Bishop in the Garden of Strife.



This is an interesting amalgam of a self portrait and a portrait of the persona I assume when re-enacting.

I used various photographs of myself, as well as heraldry and floral imagery from illuminated manuscripts in this painting, as well as references to the three medieval re-enactment societies I have been a member of over the years.

I decided on the title, once I observed that the bishop in his vestments seems to be strolling through a garden filled with armoured figures ( most of which are also the bishop).

I painted this after I had completed a commission for the sister of friends of ours a gift for their wedding anniversary. The painting had to include references to all their various interests. I may blog about that one at a later date!

Until next time


Adieu

No comments:

Post a Comment