Wednesday 26 October 2022

Demon from the past

 Greetings

Every now and again I look through the old portfolios and paintings in the loft and (on occasion) throw out work that no longer has any merit.

I have posted on pervious occasions about the paintings I do when I 'let my subconscious go for a walk'.

I do not attempt to impose any sort of analysis , or meaning , on these paintings and they usually involve figures forming into other shapes.

I found a painting in the loft that is a very early example of this.



This was painted when I was at Art College in the mid- to late  1980's. My colour pallete in those days was considerably darker and involved many more earth colours.

If you look at it sideways, you can see some human forms. 

It is oil on board and, as I recall, it was painted using random human forms , occasionally turning the painting , painting over bits, repainting other bits until a image sort of emerged.

In a way, it is a little reminiscent of a 16th century artist call Archimboldo, who build portraits out of fruit, flowers etc

I call this painting "Diabolus"

It's a lot darker( in all repects) that my current work, but I still quite like it.

It's got... something.

God alone knows what- but definitely...something.

Until next time

Adieu

No comments:

Post a Comment