Wednesday 4 November 2015

The Purple Pimpernel



I have posted previously about the design and construction of a costume called Dastardly in Motley, showing how I brought a drawn concept to life.

This is another good example.

I have always liked the cut-away coats of the 1790 and had acquired some purple crush velvet.
This would be inappropriate for an authentic coat, but lead on to the costume concept.

What, I asked myself, would a Goth have worn in 1790?

I decided on black breeches and waistcoat, a black shirt with black and gold lace and a choice of either purple stockings with black shoes, or black stockings under black knee-boots.
I drew this picture



I used black calico for the shirt and stock and black denim for the breeches.

I had some grograin silk for the waistcoat. This had a chequered patterning at one side, which I used on the turn-back lapels. I used black and gold buttons on the coat and waistcoat.

For the presentation, I made myself up white face and used black and purple lipstick. I spray-dyed my hair( long at the time) black with a central purple stripe and accessorised with one black leather glove , a black and gold quizzer mask and a cane.

The pictures are by Paul Holroyd and are used with consent.























It is still quite gratifying how closely the completed costume resembles the concept drawing.

Until next time


Adieu

No comments:

Post a Comment